Saturday, July 31, 2010

Save the Blog!

I announced maybe 1.5 months ago that Second and One was ending due to both low readership and a series of personal reasons. I pledged that on August 1, this site would be abandoned.

So I've taken a few months to clear my head. I've taken a vacation; I did some reading and writing, and now, on the day before of this blog's supposed demise, I have to make an announcement.

I've changed my mind. Although it may not be permanent, Second and One isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Of course, I can't say it will be the same in the future - I am moving into a series of new responsibilities at work this fall - and I don't know how regular or comprehensive anything's going to be as I adjust. Nonetheless, I'll be stressed, restless, overburdened, and in need of a distraction more than ever. And it's going to be football season! I've been reading ESPN and NFL.com and a myriad of other sites three times a day. I got my Bears tickets two days ago. The preaseason kicks off in two weeks! I've been dreaming about football - and where else will I be able get this out by writing in alliterations, metaphors, and pseudo-poetic jibber-jabber...and have a good time doing it? I can't kill this. To use a better simile, getting rid of your best diversion on the eve of a long period of guaranteed insanity is like dismissing your star receiver on the eve of the Super Bowl - it makes no sense, regardless of questions of one's readership (or how temperamental a team's star wideout is). It's not for the glory; it's not for the fans. This is for me and my team. 

So I'm going to keep writing. I'm going to do some interesting things this upcoming season. And just to prove this, tomorrow or Monday, I'll have a full-color, pictorial post up as part of a mini-series that I'm doing on NFL training camp. 

To anyone who may be out there in the swirling electrons of the Internet and casually (or regularly) peeking at my website, I'm sorry about the unnecessary drama that I've caused. I had a lot to deal with at the time. Thanks for reading. 

Remember kids, if you cut too many corners, your secondary's going to suck.

MC
Founder and Blogger
Second and One

No comments:

Post a Comment