Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Serendipity!

I never thought I'd see the day where obsessing about football at work would actually do me some good. I've had numerous Monday mornings where I have slogged into my laboratory and proceeded to rant to the nearest co-worker about how my team(s) completely blew a game over the weekend. "Why didn't they onside kick?!" I furiously foam at the mouth, "Why didn't they go for it on 4th and 2?" Most of my colleagues simply tune it out so it is approximately on par with yelling at a mailbox, but occasionally one of them will pipe up "Yeah. I agree. They shouldn't have punted."

The leader of my research group is a very understanding and generous fellow (and a football fan himself). He does not mind my disjointed rambling and adornment with various team regalia, and more than tolerates my annual pilgrimages to Soldier Field. Anyway, he found himself in a situation today. He holds season tickets to see the Football Team at the Large University Where I Work. As he cannot attend this weekend's long-anticipated rivalry showdown, he decided to give his tickets to the one person in the group who has proved him/herself the greatest gridiron goon: yours truly. 

And these are obscenely good seats, on the 45-yard line, with comfy seat backs, across from the press-box. So the brains behind Second and One will spend this Saturday evening under the lights, surrounded by alumni who make about five times my salary per annuum,  and I will thoroughly enjoy myself. 

Fans: Show your spirit at work. You never know where it might get you!

Full weekend recap to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment